Summer is winding down and we’ll be sad to see it go for a while. Send off the sunny season with a tasty farewell by making this Very Berry Truronia smoothie!
This smoothie is not only filling due to the yogurt, but also chock full of calcium and antioxidants. It’s perfect for picky eaters and easy on you because it only takes about five minutes to make.
You can easily hide a lot of healthy boosts in a smoothie for those pesky picky eaters, or for when you’re not getting enough vitamins and minerals in your own diet. Adding flaxseeds to this smoothie gives you a dose of Omega-3 fatty acids, as well as fiber. They are low-carb and gluten-free. The Omega-3s help regulate your heart’s arteries so that there’s less buildup on its walls, lowering the risk of heart disease and high cholesterol. Flaxseeds are available to buy at any grocery store in grounded or whole form.
Plus, you get the amazing antioxidants from our Aronia berries. What do antioxidants do? Antioxidants are naturally made in our bodies and prevent oxidative stress, which often leads to chronic illnesses. Maintaining a balance with antioxidants means getting nutrients like Vitamin C and E, as well as a healthy serving of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. This smoothie is a great way to be healthy and have a sweet treat for the last days of the summer.
Let’s get going!
Very Berry Smoothie
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1-2 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- 1 & 1/2 cup of frozen Aronia berries
- ½ cup strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup of raspberries
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- ¾ cup of plain, vanilla, or Greek yogurt (¾ cup of applesauce if lactose intolerant)
- 1-2 tablespoons milled flaxseeds
- A handful of ice cubes (optional)
- Place the Aronia berries, strawberries, raspberries, and half of the yogurt into blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the rest of the yogurt and flaxseeds with ice cubes until smooth.
- Taste and add honey or a few tablespoons of orange juice if you want the smoothie a bit sweeter.